Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Nucleus 5 : switch on

This switch on was nowhere near as emotional as my first one!

She put it all together as it comes in lots of pieces. She hooked it up to the computer... added all the previous settings from my old one and turned it on.

Audiologist: How is it?
Me : Fine
Audiologist: Any different?
Me: S's a bit more clearer, that is about it.

So there is not much difference with it in every day situations. BUT it is much lighter on the ear and looks cooler too :)

The audiologist showed me how to add the battery packs on and how to use the remote. She didn't show me how to use the buttons on the actual processor, saying I would just use the remote (which looks very ipodish).

Stu and I left after being there only half an hour and went to the city, to test if it really is better in noisier situations like it claims. It is sort of better, the remote definately helps in working out what program is which so you can adjust it to the noisy situation.
But while at the pub, I did work how I can use the buttons on the processor, as lets face it, carrying a remote around all the time is a pain in the bum.

On the way to the city tho, I did ring dad from the mobile to test that and it worked ok.

But at work on the phones, I'm having problems. At the moment I can't tell if it's the setting (I can hear background noise which is great at being able to tell how loud you are talking, previously it cut out all background noise) or if I just haven't quite worked out the best way to place the phone.

Also, because I can hear background noise, I can't tell if the auto-t switch is kicking in. This is why I wanted this processor, because I didn't have to press any buttons to use the phone, it can detect the phone and automatically switch programs.
This is easily fixed with a visit to the audiologist tho, she can turn down the background noise.
I also want her to set it as a permanent feature, not something I have to set with the remote (cant' believe she didn't set it in the first place, or at least ask).

My disposible battery pack I think will need to be replaced as it's not fitting tightly on, it kind of wobbles a bit. I don't want that twisting and falling off!

I do have a major problem with the new processor. My everyday setting is currently on it's maximum setting. It is the same volume I had before... only I used to turn it up in quiet situations. Now this is the loudest it will ever get.
What is wrong with Cochlear?!! MAKE IT LOUDER!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu doesn't think I'm doing any worse or any better with it.

2 comments:

Per said...

Nikki, my wife have recently been approved for C.I. , she will have the operation in about 3 months. We live in Norway. She will get the Nucleus 5. My wife lost her hearing as a side effect of her CMT disease (Charcot Marie Tooth) and she hasnt heard the sound of birds in about 15 years. I think you wrote something about hearing music via C.I. but now I cannot find it. I know that music is very difficult and that C.I. is mainly geared towards the understanding of speech. Since my wife has CMT her hands are less effective so if she can use a telephone it will be a very big step for her as she will not be restricted to text messages when she is out and about with her mobile phone. Text messages takes a lot of time for her. But she is very fond of music too, my hope is that she will eventually be able to enjoy music again in some form. I realize that this is probably going to take both time and effort. I have been thinking about trying the movie "Sound of music" with subtitles. She saw and heard that movie while she still had her hearing so that might be a way to connect the sounds with the movie more easily. If you have some comments about listening to music via C.I. I would be pleased to hear from you.

Nikki said...

Hi Per

If your wife has heard before, she will get great benefit out of it!

Phones for me can still be difficult (it took months before I was confident enough to use it) but she should find it easier to understand loved ones (people who's voices she is used to).

If her experience is like mine, music will sound fine and she should pick up things that she didn't hear before, like cymbals. Listening to something she's heard before (like The Sound of Music), she should (hopefully) remember, it is amazing how quickly the brain adapts and gives you the sound the way you remember it :)

I'm glad you realise it will take time and effort, but once the brain has adapted, she will hopefully love it. Being able to understand speech without lipreading is such a wonderful thing.

Best of luck for your wife!! If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me
nikkibic at gmail.com